Online English Placement Test (OEPT)
The Online English Placement Test (OEPT) is an online test. It is designed to assess individuals’ communicative language abilities to place them into the different programs offered by the School of Continuing Education, the Graduate School of Education, and the School of Business of the American University in Cairo. OEPT is a 90-minutes long. It consists of two sections: reading (43 minutes) and writing (47 minutes). The results will be issued the next day.
Make sure that you have the below technical requirements before you register for the online test. If you don’t, you will not be able to take the test and don’t register for the test.
- The computer must be a desktop or laptop computer, not a tablet or mobile or Mac/Mac OS, with the following requirements:
2 GB RAM
4 GB RAM
Operating System, PC
64-bit Windows 8
64-bit Windows 10
At least 4GB free space
At least 4GB free space
- Download speed: 1 Mbps
- Upload speed: 512 Kbps
- Download speed: > 2 Mbps
- Upload speed: > 1 Mbps
You must have administrator privileges on your computer to be able to install the test browser.
- Test-takers must read the test info sheet provided at the admission test sample
- The test result will be issued the next day, will be sent to the XED email address
You must follow all of the below steps before your scheduled test, or you will very likely encounter challenges and risk not being able to complete the test.
Read the following steps carefully:
- A new email XED email account will be created for you by SCE to be used for all official communication to and from the school. The credentials of the XED email will be sent to your registered personal email from email@example.com. Make sure to log in to your XED email once you receive it.
- If you have problems accessing @XED email after viewing the Tutorial, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
- Check the XED Email Inbox 48 hours before your test time to read the test account Activation email received from email@example.com and activate your gourmet test account with the received credentials. (Pro-tip: Set a reminder on your phone for 48 hours before your test)
- Download and Install X51 Secure Exam Browser.
- Access your test page 24 hours before your scheduled test to take the demo test.
- Access your test page on your scheduled test time to take the test and avoid missing it.
- If you were not able to access the online test because you did not follow all the above instructions within their set timeframe, your score in the test will be recorded as “absent” automatically by the system and cannot be changed.
If you need help during the 48 hours’ period before the exam, contact:
For any problem or inquiries regarding the online tests, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any technical issues preventing the candidates from proceeding with the test should be reported during the test time and/or until 11:00 pm of the same day, supported with the 9 digit student ID number and full student name. Reported cases after the mentioned time will not be considered.